Monday, August 1, 2011

Countdown


I’m back to Brussels and I’m enjoying the sunshine – at least for a couple of days.

The funeral was very sad, yet not as dramatic as I had thought it would be. Sonja appeared to me quite strong. Of course there is still an element of shock in this whole experience, and now there are still lots of things to be organized, plus her newborn gives her a lot of distraction. This shows me again how close joyful and sorrowful events can come together in life. I pray that the Lord may give her strength, comfort and peace, especially when she will start processing everything.

Well, it was nice to spend a few days in the country, although the weather wasn’t very summery. My almost 92-year old grandmother was happy to see me. She could very well relate to Sonja’s fate – in fact, she was even younger in age when her husband fell during World War II; and she was also left alone with two little children. Nevertheless, it's definitely no easier today to cope with such a loss than it was then, although the social systems in Germany are stronger now.

There are still lots of little things to be done at work, and I’m really looking forward to vacation now. But only six days left, and I will be headed to Germany again. I’ll write more after camp meeting.

No comments: